This content requires HTML5/CSS3, WebGL, or Adobe Flash Player Version 9 or higher.
Select a panoramic image to display.
Following the Civil War, R-MC students raised $13,000 to construct a campus in Ashland, Virginia, after their facilities in Boydton were rendered unusable. Washington-Franklin Hall, or "Wash-Frank" Hall, was the first building constructed on the Ashland campus in 1872.
Incidentally, Wash-Frank was also the first brick building in Ashland and it houses many historical treasures, including a rosewood Steinway piano, one of only four in the world.
The building is included on the National Register of Historic Places and, appropriately, it is home to R-MC's history department.
Named after two long-standing student organizations, the Washington Literary Society and the Franklin Debate Society, Wash-Frank Hall is the host site for the college's annual Washington-Franklin Collegiate Challenge Debates, a parliamentary-style debate in which audience participation is strongly encouraged.
Constructed in 1872 from funds raised by students, Washington-Franklin Hall was renovated in 1987 from a gift from Mrs. Paul Mellon and the Gerard Lambert Foundation.